Re: Coordination with GNU Translation Project

mandag den 3. december 2001 04:04 skrev Stephen J. Turnbull:

>     Changwoo> The maintainers don't release a new version just to
>     Changwoo> incorporate an updated translation.

Actually, the result is that very few upstream releases contain complete
translations. E.g. most GNU-tools are only released, when new features or
fixes has been made -- often adding new strings. This happen without further
notice, so all the translators can do is to have the updated po-file pending
for the next release (wich possibly contain even more new stings).
For tools like make and tar, it seems that years can pass without new
releases. This is, of course, a sign of the quality and stability of these
tools (og lack of maintainers? ;-) ).

Therefore I would be very happy if Debian packagers were aware of new
translations, and added them to the Debian packages. For GNU-tools, it should
be easy to track new translations from the GNU translation project.

What would be the best way to make this happen? I'm rather new to Debian
development.

Claus
--
Claus Hindsgaul