Re: heads up

   And as I said, we need shadow translators.  Once we have them, we
   could create /usr->/ with little fuss.

We already have a read-only (write support is flakey) implementation
of unionfs.  But why change _back_ to /usr -> / when that was used for
years?

   Let's change this around.  What problem are you trying to solve?
   Packaging formats are more than lists of files; saying "remove
   maintainer scripts" because you want a pure list of files gets you
   to a pure list of files, but how does it solve the problems which
   maintainer scripts are there to solve?

You can't run "maintainer scripts" from a translator, since you do not
have any form of I/O from the user.  How do you expect to run debconf
or similar to setup the package?

   > /share/info/dir being a translator that always provides a updated
   > dir entry for info readers to use.  Put a info page into
   > /share/info and viola, a entry in /share/info/dir pops up.

   This would be easy to arrange in a Hurd-specific installer, and
   Debian would be happy to include one.

I'll eat my hat when that happens.

   > Sure, and that is why we have a nice warm flame war about /hurd
   > each year right (although, always from people who have no clue
   > about the issues involved)?

   We haven't had one for years, actually.

Amazing...