Re: Installation of the Hurd

Hi Marco,

thanks for your reply.

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 23:19, Marco Gerards wrote:
> > Both don't have /etc/passwd after install (and ./native-install).
>
> Did you use crosshurd from unstable, btw (IIRC you should)?

What else? ;) I hope the default sources lines are ok. Or should I use
different ones?

deb http://ftp.gnuab.org/debian unreleased main
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main

> It would be nice if you can report this bug using the debian BTS.

As I wrote, it's already reported (#217626).

> > Maybe this is related to it: The last message of ./native-install is
> > "./native-install: Cannot make pipe for command substitution: Protocol
> > family not supported". I get a similar output on MAKEDEV. But the
> > respective devices seem to be created ok after MAKEDEV. Another typical
> > error on the remaining screen is "./native-install: line 219: umount:
> > command not found".
>
> Pipes are not available until the pflocal translator is set.  I do not
> exactly remember how that works, but IIRC it was:
>
> settrans -acp /servers/sockets/1 /hurd/pflocal

... but I guess this should be done by crosshurd or the software
installed by crosshurd/native-install.

> > Since the only place where the other "known bugs" are currently recorded
> > publicly are the mailing list archives, I will possibly file them to the
> > Debian BTS. (Even the GNU Hurd page suggests using it.) I mean:
>
> Please do! [...]

OK. Thanks for the Savannah hint.

I will first report against crosshurd, because the uppermem and
ext2fs.static-error bugs are probably fixed in current upstream
versions. When I see that it's not fixed upstream, I'll copy to
Savannah.

> Are you sure it is 1.2?  The problem is that GNUMach 1.3 displays a
> message that is is 1.2 (or something like that).  Did you check the
> package version or the on screen messages.

The screen messages. But the last package changelog entry is from
2002-04-19, i.e. before the official 1.3 release (2002-05).

Besides: On the GNU Mach homepage, I read that the new version supports
>=10GB disks. Does this hold for _partitions_ (and the Hurd) as well? I
guess, not.

bye,
  Roland