Re: Installation of the Hurd

Roland Stigge <stigge@informatik.hu-berlin.de> writes:

Hi Roland,

[...]

> > Is it possible for you to remove some memory to test what happens
> > in that case?
>
> Yes, and it works. While experimenting, I also tried "uppermem 524288",
> and now I can even use (i.e. install) my full memory (though limited
> under the Hurd).

So it works with all memory installed but half of it disabled?  This
is weird because I'm able to use GNU/Hurd on my box which has 768MB
RAM.

> > To me it looks like a really weird problem.  Only libstore/nbd.c:417
> > in the sourcecode reports this error without reporting more error,
> > AFAIK.  I don't know a thing about this store and I didn't look into
> > it in detail.
>
> It seems that it's the memory problem or something caused by it.

Yes.  It would be interesting to know where it is caused.  If you want
to debug and perhaps fix this problem it would be really nice. :)

[...]

> > > Besides, both crosshurd installation and
> > > http://people.debian.org/~rmh/gnu/gnu.tar.bz2 results in the "hurd"
> > > package being from 2002. Is that correct?
> >
> > You can better use:
> > ftp://ftp.gnuab.org/pub/gnu/gnu.tar.bz2
>
> OK, that seems to work better with ./native-install etc. (What is the
> right place to report the out-of-date Debian GNU/Hurd Installation HOWTO
> on www.debian.org? The www.debian.org pseudo-package? There are some
> command line examples from Neal's document where only the first line is
> taken over.)

This is, I think, the right place.  It would be really nice if you are
willing to fix the documentation.  If you want to do this I can lookup
how you can download the webpage via CVS so you can prepare a patch
for this.  It seems no debian people have time or care at the moment. :(

> I observed that ftp://ftp.gnuab.org/pub/gnu/gnu.tar.bz2 is much smaller
> than http://people.debian.org/~rmh/gnu/gnu.tar.bz2 (just about the
> half). E.g. /usr/share/doc/ package directories are missing, so I
> couldn't check easily the changelog and date.

This tarball was prepared using crosshurd, IIRC.  Is it possible the
tarball is this big because all debs are in it (IIRC it was something
like that)?  Perhaps this is a bug in crosshurd?  Robert!!!?? :)

> > > And: Is there by chance someone running the network adapter (Broadcom
> > > BCM5700) of the above board with the Hurd? (The link in the entry "What
> > > kind of hardware is supported?" in the FAQ on gnu.org is not available.)
> >
> > I can't find it in the README-Drivers file of GNUMach 1.3.  Which chip
> > is on this board?  Perhaps it is supported by GNUMach 1.9 (which has
> > other drivers).
>
> It's the driver in the source package bcm5700-source, a Linux kernel
> module, not even integrated into Linux itself. The device calls itself
> "Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5702".
>
> > If it is not supported you can use linux drivers (linux 2.0 drivers
> > for gnumach 1.3 or linux 2.2 drivers for gnumach 1.9).
>
> Which version is included in ftp://ftp.gnuab.org/pub/gnu/gnu.tar.bz2?
> Besides, I was thinking that device drivers are _not_ linked into a
> microkernel (?).

GNUMach 1.3 (I hope), GNUMach 1.2 was used for a long time and I would
not be surprised if it is still used...

> Unfortunately, I encountered some further errors:
>
> On boot, I always get

> [...]
> start /hurd/ext2fs.static: hd14: bad access: block=28, count=2,
> blockend=30, nr_sects2
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:44, sector28
> [...]

This is a known bug.  It is safe to ignore this, AFAIK.

[...]

> Indeed, on "ls -l", it reports just the uids, not the names. Trying
> "adduser", the system responded that perl is not available.

How did you install? Crosshurd or the tarball?

> sh-2.05b# nano
>
> I can't find my home directory! Wah!
> Press return to continue starting nano
>
> <return>
> Error opening terminal: unknown
> sh-2.05b#
>
> Sometimes, nano starts up (also with the above output), sometimes not. I
> didn't figure out exactly when.
>
> Maybe all this is related somehow.

It is.  It looks like you don't have a /etc/passwd so programs that
use it might not work.  This file is used to lookup the home directory
of a user.  You are able to log in as root (and root only I assume)
because of a hack in libshouldbeinlibc.

--
Marco