Installation of the Hurd

Hi Marco,

thanks for your reply.

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 00:14, Marco Gerards wrote:
> > After installing the Hurd with crosshurd, setting up GRUB with the
> > sophisticated well known parameters and fixing the too-much-memory
> > problem (uppermem 786432), I came across the following output (not
> > verbatim, but nearly):
>
> What happened when you did not add this uppermem line?

The spontaneous reboot someone reported earlier.

> Is it possible for you to remove some memory to test what happens
> in that case?

Yes, and it works. While experimenting, I also tried "uppermem 524288",
and now I can even use (i.e. install) my full memory (though limited
under the Hurd).

> To me it looks like a really weird problem.  Only libstore/nbd.c:417
> in the sourcecode reports this error without reporting more error,
> AFAIK.  I don't know a thing about this store and I didn't look into
> it in detail.

It seems that it's the memory problem or something caused by it.

> Perhaps you menu.lst (the relevant part of it) might be useful.

title           GNU/Hurd (hd1,4)
root            (hd1,4)
uppermem        524288
kernel          /boot/gnumach.gz root=device:hd1s5 -s
module          /hurd/ext2fs.static --multiboot-command-line=${kernel-command-line} --host-priv-port=${host-port} --device-master-port=${device-port} --exec-server-task=${exec-task} -T typed ${root} $(task-create) $(task-resume)
module          /lib/ld.so.1 /hurd/exec $(exec-task=task-create)

> > Besides, both crosshurd installation and
> > http://people.debian.org/~rmh/gnu/gnu.tar.bz2 results in the "hurd"
> > package being from 2002. Is that correct?
>
> You can better use:
> ftp://ftp.gnuab.org/pub/gnu/gnu.tar.bz2

OK, that seems to work better with ./native-install etc. (What is the
right place to report the out-of-date Debian GNU/Hurd Installation HOWTO
on www.debian.org? The www.debian.org pseudo-package? There are some
command line examples from Neal's document where only the first line is
taken over.)

I observed that ftp://ftp.gnuab.org/pub/gnu/gnu.tar.bz2 is much smaller
than http://people.debian.org/~rmh/gnu/gnu.tar.bz2 (just about the
half). E.g. /usr/share/doc/ package directories are missing, so I
couldn't check easily the changelog and date.

> > And: Is there by chance someone running the network adapter (Broadcom
> > BCM5700) of the above board with the Hurd? (The link in the entry "What
> > kind of hardware is supported?" in the FAQ on gnu.org is not available.)
>
> I can't find it in the README-Drivers file of GNUMach 1.3.  Which chip
> is on this board?  Perhaps it is supported by GNUMach 1.9 (which has
> other drivers).

It's the driver in the source package bcm5700-source, a Linux kernel
module, not even integrated into Linux itself. The device calls itself
"Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5702".

> If it is not supported you can use linux drivers (linux 2.0 drivers
> for gnumach 1.3 or linux 2.2 drivers for gnumach 1.9).

Which version is included in ftp://ftp.gnuab.org/pub/gnu/gnu.tar.bz2?
Besides, I was thinking that device drivers are _not_ linked into a
microkernel (?).

Unfortunately, I encountered some further errors:

On boot, I always get

[...]
start /hurd/ext2fs.static: hd14: bad access: block=28, count=2,
blockend=30, nr_sects2
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:44, sector28
[...]

On the second run (after reboot) of ./native-install, it says:

[...]
I just make sure that /libexec/runsystem is properly updated.
WHOA! We're in deep trouble. The Hurd package did not update
the link in /libexec/runsystem. For now, I am making a link
manually, but please report this.
The last step is to create /etc/fstab
chown: `root': invalid user
[...]

Indeed, on "ls -l", it reports just the uids, not the names. Trying
"adduser", the system responded that perl is not available.

Another one:

sh-2.05b# nano

I can't find my home directory! Wah!
Press return to continue starting nano

<return>
Error opening terminal: unknown
sh-2.05b#

Sometimes, nano starts up (also with the above output), sometimes not. I
didn't figure out exactly when.

Maybe all this is related somehow.

Thanks in advance.

bye,