Gratuitous error on first boot

Hi,

first, thanks for the documentation about the Hurd. Unfortunately, I
came across a problem I couldn't solve despite reading the FAQ, the list
etc.

After installing the Hurd with crosshurd, setting up GRUB with the
sophisticated well known parameters and fixing the too-much-memory
problem (uppermem 786432), I came across the following output (not
verbatim, but nearly):

[...]
com1: [...]
com2: [...]

2 multiboot modules
task loaded: /hurd/ext2fs.static --multiboot-command-line=${ker [...]
task loaded: /lib/ld.so.1 /hurd/exec

start /hurd/ext2fs.static: /hurd/ext2fs.static: hd1s5: Gratuitous error
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
... and the system hangs. On removing the ext2fs.static module load
request, the situation is somewhat different:

[...]
com1: [...]
com2: [...]

1 multiboot modules
task loaded: /lib/ld.so.1 /hurd/exec

... followed by a hang that results in a panic on keypress (in contrast
to the former case).

The "task loaded" messages each start on the end (5..10 characters) of
the respective preceding line, but I guess that's normal.

I'm using an ASUS P4G8X board with Intel 7205 chipset, 1GB of RAM. Does
the Gratuitous error have something to do with the partition being on
the first logical partition (size: 2000MB)?

Please tell me what further information you need. (If the "Gratuitous
error" is a known problem, please point me to the relevant resources.)

Besides, both crosshurd installation and
http://people.debian.org/~rmh/gnu/gnu.tar.bz2 results in the "hurd"
package being from 2002. Is that correct?

And: Is there by chance someone running the network adapter (Broadcom
BCM5700) of the above board with the Hurd? (The link in the entry "What
kind of hardware is supported?" in the FAQ on gnu.org is not available.)

Thanks in advance.

bye,
  Roland