Re: Installation of the Hurd

Hi Marco,

thanks for your mail.

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 18:55, Marco Gerards wrote:
> So it works with all memory installed but half of it disabled?

Yes. I read the archive and discovered a thread from November that
somebody was advised to use "uppermem 786432" as a workaround for
spontaneous reboots. Well, that was not enough for my case. I either
have to use "uppermem 524288" or remove half of my 1GB.

> > OK, that seems to work better with ./native-install etc. (What is the
> > right place to report the out-of-date Debian GNU/Hurd Installation HOWTO
> > on www.debian.org? The www.debian.org pseudo-package? There are some
> > command line examples from Neal's document where only the first line is
> > taken over.)
>
> This is, I think, the right place.  It would be really nice if you are
> willing to fix the documentation.  If you want to do this I can lookup
> how you can download the webpage via CVS so you can prepare a patch
> for this.

OK.

> > I observed that ftp://ftp.gnuab.org/pub/gnu/gnu.tar.bz2 is much smaller
> > than http://people.debian.org/~rmh/gnu/gnu.tar.bz2 (just about the
> > half). E.g. /usr/share/doc/ package directories are missing, so I
> > couldn't check easily the changelog and date.
>
> This tarball was prepared using crosshurd, IIRC.  Is it possible the
> tarball is this big because all debs are in it (IIRC it was something
> like that)?

Yes. There seem to be 62 debs in /var/cache/apt/archives/ in ~rmh's
tarball. But nevertheless, shouldn't be crosshurd the right tool here
instead of unpacking a tarball?

> > Indeed, on "ls -l", it reports just the uids, not the names. Trying
> > "adduser", the system responded that perl is not available.
>
> How did you install? Crosshurd or the tarball?

Both don't have /etc/passwd after install (and ./native-install).

> > Maybe all this is related somehow.
>
> It is.  It looks like you don't have a /etc/passwd so programs that
> use it might not work.  This file is used to lookup the home directory
> of a user. [...]

I discovered that this is bug #217626.

Another one: When using crosshurd (not
ftp://ftp.gnuab.org/pub/gnu/gnu.tar.bz2), there are many dpkg errors
scrolling fast. Unfortunately, I don't know how to scroll back to
inspect. But somewhere dpkg says that it "halt"s because there are "too
many errors".

Maybe this is related to it: The last message of ./native-install is
"./native-install: Cannot make pipe for command substitution: Protocol
family not supported". I get a similar output on MAKEDEV. But the
respective devices seem to be created ok after MAKEDEV. Another typical
error on the remaining screen is "./native-install: line 219: umount:
command not found".

Since the only place where the other "known bugs" are currently recorded
publicly are the mailing list archives, I will possibly file them to the
Debian BTS. (Even the GNU Hurd page suggests using it.) I mean:

* Too_much_memory bug (workaround: uppermem ...)
* /hurd/ext2fs.static I/O error messages
* The directly above described bug(s)
* Wishlist: GNUmach should be updated. I discovered that the current
version is 1.2 installed by crosshurd

Is crosshurd the right package here to file all those against? What's up
with the "hurd" package? Last upload from 2002-11-20 with some
outstanding bugs.

bye,
  Roland