Re: Hurd Advocacy?

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 18:39, Shawn Boyette wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 03:29:28PM -0700, deFreese, Barry wrote:
>
> > in the fact that there is a
> > lot of design and theory behind Hurd, I have to agree with Marco for one
> > main reason.
>
> I do apologize for getting flamey, but it was an honest (if visceral)
> response to "what do you think needs to be done to the
> HURD?". Besides, it's not like I'm known for anythinig or my opinions
> actually carry any weight :)
>
> I'm a good enough programmer to know that I'm nowhere near good enough
> to be a kernel developer; my point being that I know how involved and
> complex OS design is. It's just that for the months I've been quietly
> reading this list, it seems that nothing ever moves forward except via
> the announcement of yet another transition to yet another platform
> which will Totally Fix Everything, No Really This Time.
>
> I also retract my statement about the 2G limit being
> second-most-annoying. The fact that the HURD must be bootstrapped from
> Linux (on install) is #2. Then the 2G limit. Then everything else.
>
> --
> Shawn Boyette
mdxi@collapsar.net

I would have to point out that the Hurd isn't presented as being today
absolutely ready and totally polished to outshine all other operating
systems available or even merely theoretically proposed. It is still
under development, although to a thoroughly designed concept, which
can't be said about many other o/ses (including that Microsoft stuff.)
However, because it is under development, there are certain things that
haven't as yet been completed, such as an installation procedure as
complete as boot-floppies. Don't view it as being beta software - some
parts may be that far along, while others are working to be alpha, and
some fortunately have become effectively complete.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org