Re: Hurd Advocacy?

Mark L. Kahnt wrote:

mdxi@collapsar.net

I would have to point out that the Hurd isn't presented as being today
absolutely ready and totally polished to outshine all other operating
systems available or even merely theoretically proposed. It is still
under development, although to a thoroughly designed concept, which
can't be said about many other o/ses (including that Microsoft stuff.)
However, because it is under development, there are certain things that
haven't as yet been completed, such as an installation procedure as
complete as boot-floppies. Don't view it as being beta software - some
parts may be that far along, while others are working to be alpha, and
some fortunately have become effectively complete.
Mark,

Not to be argumentative but then why does www.gnu.org say the following:

*it exists*
   The Hurd is real software that works Right Now. It is not a research
   project or a proposal. You don't have to wait at all before you can
start using and developing it.

Wouldn't that imply to the user that it is usable, not necessarily alpha/beta? I'm not tryint to troll, start a flame, or downplay the Hurd. In fact, I would like to see the Hurd prosper as an alternative OS but I think it suffers from image problems.

--
Barry deFreese
Debian 3.0r1 "Woody"

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving
to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is
winning." Rich Cook.