Re: Hurd Advocacy?

The Hurd Advocate wrote:

   What can the Hurd community do to promote their favorite OS?

deFreese, Barry wrote:

1.  One of the biggest problems is probably the < 2Gb limit for ext2fs.  I
think many people see that as a sign of antiquation even if the size doesn't
necessarily bother them.

Yes!

3.  From a purely user standpoint, I think lack of good X support, desktop
environments, and the X type apps. (Mozilla for example).  Most of the
purist/hardcore users and developers don't care about this but most "users"
do.
Yes.

4.  The lack of Marcus's console being the default.  I think most users
expect multiple virtual terminals these days.
Yes.

5.  Stability.
Yes.

6.  Kernel issues.  GNUMach 1.x is antiquated, slow, and has issues.  Very
few (if any) are working on GNUMach 2.x (oskit-mach) and it has issues, and
L4 isn't ready and probably won't be for quite some time.
Yes!

Oh, I forgot one.  Good documentation.

Yes.

--