[OT] Translation issues (was: Re: None)

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 07:19:39PM +0100, Farid Hajji wrote:
> Yes I know. I've been involved with reviewing book drafts
> and translations of technical texts. I always wonder about
> the ueber-eagerness to force widely used technical jargon
> into an artificial pseudo-localized language with doesn't
> look right, neither for english-aware readers, nor for
> people who need the translation.

I also wonder about that, and even joke about it by exaggerating it
(e.g. saying `Rueckfuetterung' instead of `Feedback').  But when there
is a german term that describes a thing well, I like to use it.  And
`Heimverzeichnis' (which is less widely used, but certainly _is_ used)
just makes a lot of sense to me, but maybe that's because I'm
sometimes talking with people who are no geeks.

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang, who refuses to call a mobile phone a `Handy'.