GNU/Hurd terminology / Texinfo (was: Re: Unidentified subject!)

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:46:19PM +0100, Oliver Beck wrote:
> PS.: Sorry, when i not write all in english. My english grammar is not
>      the best and i can me express very better in german. Before you
>      flame on me: i think i can good translate from english to german

No doubt on that, but I think it's still better if you write in
english, since nobody will care if you make mistakes; important is
that people understand you, and your english certainly is more than
good enough for that.

> -  Die Debian GNU/Hurd Distribution hat im Gegensatz zu vielen anderen
> -  Distributionen, kein sehr komfortables oder gar ansehnliches
> -  Installationsprogramm.
>
> +  GNU/Hurd hat im Gegensatz zu vielen anderen Distributionen kein sehr
> +  komfortables oder gar ansehnliches Installationsprogramm.
>
> Hier geht es ja nicht um die Debian-Distribution, diese wird ja spaeter
> im Text speziel erwaehnt. Oder hab ich das falsch verstanden?

That's a hard question; actually it is about the Debian GNU/Hurd
distribution, which currently has an installation program that is not
as decent like that of Debian GNU/Linux.  Just omitting `Debian' above
is wrong in any case, though, since `GNU/Hurd' is not a distribution,
it's an operating system.  But since Debian GNU/Hurd currently is the
only distribution of GNU/Hurd, they are also _somewhat_ interchangable
at times.

> Meines erachtens gibt es doch nur ein GNU/Linux. So weit ich weiss, ist
> doch Debian das einzigste, was sich auch so nennen darf.

No, everyone is allowed to call it like this.  Unfortunatly, few
distributions do.

> Nun, und ob Linux denn ueberhaupt 'GNU' ist, ist mir auch nicht
> (mehr) so klar, nachdem ich das Interview mit R. Stallman gelesen
> habe, woraus hervorgeht, dass der Linuxkernel Binaeren Code
> enthaelt.

I'm not sure what you mean here; Linux has never been GNU software.
It is combined with most of the GNU system to form GNU/Linux, the
`Linux-based GNU system'.  There is also a variant of the GNU system
called GNU/Darwin, which uses the non-free Darwin kernel.

> Nun, das war mein erster Text, den ich (so komplett) uebersetzt habe.
> Ich habe gesehen, das es nicht so einfach ist, und werde meine
> zukuenftigen Uebersetzungen mit mehr Sorgfalt behandeln.

I think you did that very well, and it is a lot of work which is
probably not as much fun as hacking code, thus we appreciate it a lot
that it has been done!

> Bleibt noch die Frage ob ich den Text mit oder ohne Umlaute schreibe.
> tex kam damit klar, texinfo hingegen nicht, und da das makefile von Neal
> sich auf texi* bezieht und ich da eig. nicht dran rumfummeln wollte,
> weiss ich nicht recht, was nun das beste sei.

Texinfo allows to use umlauts if you write them like this: @"a

I personally write normal umlauts in Texinfo files, and have a script
that replaces them with the ugly Texinfo representation.  I keep a
copy of the original file around and work with that, and only convert
it for processing it with the Texinfo software.

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang