Re: vmware and hurd problem.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 01:23:27PM +0200, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> Robert Millan <zeratul2@wanadoo.es> writes:
>
> Not the difference between bochs & vmware: Bochs *emulates* a machine,
> while vmware *virtualizes* it. That means bochs is several orders
> of magnitude slower than vmware.

Indeed.

> PS: Yes, I know vmware is non-free (both as in beer and as in speech)
> and I don't like that either.

I'm not complaining about that, because the inconvenience of non-free
speaks for itself. Note that Vmware is not supported. Being non-free
is just the reason of it not being supported by the Hurd developers.

I can imagine they aren't willing to pay $300 for a non-free application
just to get a fight with its closed source and specification attempting
to run the Hurd on it.

On Vmware's side, you can look at this URL:

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/ws31_guestosa2.html

it has a list of "Supported Guest Operating Systems", "Operating Systems
that May Work but are Not Supported" and "Operating Systems that May Not
Work and for which Support is Not Planned"

The GNU OS appears in none of them. Neither does Debian GNU/Linux. Even
some popular OSes like NetBSD, OpenBSD and Slackware GNU/Linux are
listed as unsupported. (curiously the most unpopular OSes are all
supported ;)

If someone is interested on using GNU with Vmware, he/she should contact
the Vmware staff asking for support first.

cheers,

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992