Re: apache and netcraft

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 06:47:48PM +0200, Oystein Viggen wrote:
> * [Christian Mertes]
>
> > I remember the netcraft guys agreed to think about adding the
> > Hurd to their list of OS cores when there would be a webserver
> > running on it. Perhaps you want to contact them and tell them
> > that this happened?
>
> I contacted netcraft some months ago about this.  The message I got from
> them was that while they normally don't add an OS until some hundred
> hosts or so are running it, they would be interested in adding support
> for the Hurd anyway, or at least make sure that it was recognized as
> "unknown" and not falsely as Linux.

Netcraft titles the section as "Operating System and Web Server for foo",
asking them to output "the Hurd" implies that this is the correct name
for a Hurd-based GNU OS. IMHO, this would generate confusion onto a lot
of new people that don't know the details.

just my 2 bits

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992