Re: apache and netcraft

--- Oystein Viggen <oysteivi@tihlde.org> wrote:
> * [Jeff Bailey]
>
> > One thing that I've wanted to do for some time is rewrite pfinet (and
> > I've been slugging my way through various parts of the code to learn
> > the Best Way to do that for a year or so now).
>
> This would be great.  (Even if it would ruin Marcus' "getting ipchains
> for free" hack ;)
>
> As a side note, I keep thinking that the Hurd could really use something
> like Red Hat, hiring a lot of the greatest kernel hackers and paying
> them to do kernel hacking.  I'm not sure if Hurd is ready for commercial
> support quite yet, but it's getting there, and it would be sure to
> accelerate a lot of stuff.

 It would be cool to have some company hire someone, but why don't we hire
someone.  I am willing to donate money to hire someone to work on the Hurd
for a few months full time.  Is anyone else willing to do this?

> > I wonder what's the Right Way to handle that there could be competing
> > IP stacks on the Hurd (potentially tuned for slightly different
> > things).  They would each display different fingerprints.
>
> I don't see how this would be that much different from the way
> fingerprinters now deal with different versions of Linux.  (At least the
> active ones can).  Things like nmap would say "GNU Hurd with the
> {Bailey,Linux} stack", and Netcraft could just call them both "GNU
> Hurd", just as they now say "Linux Kernel 2.4.0 - 2.4.18 (X86)"[1] and
> "Linux".
>
> But of course, I'm not the expert in this discussion..  :)
>
> Oystein
> [1] This, incidentally, is what nmap told me about my sparcstation just
> now.  Not an exact science, it seems.

 Well, I tried nmap against my Hurd machine and I got:
No exact OS matches for host (If you know what OS is running on it, see
http://www.insecure.org/cgi-bin/nmap-submit.cgi).

 So I submitted the fingerprint.

=====
James Morrison
   University of Waterloo
   Computer Science - Digital Hardware
   2A co-op
http://hurd.dyndns.org

Anyone referring to this as 'Open Source' shall be eaten by a GNU