Re: installing baseHurd over the network

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 12:07:13AM +0200, Joachim Nilsson wrote:
> > > The Hurd likes swap, with so little RAM you should realy give it a lot.
> > > Since partition sizes are limited to ~1 GB, setting the rest for swap
> > > might be a good idea.
> > The Hurd might need some swap, but it doesn't need ~1 GB! You should
> > not have a lot more swap than twice the amount of ram anyhow. I doubt
> > you can do anything useful with the Hurd on this machine anyhow, the
> > Hurd isn't optimized.
>
> If it's one of those rare PCI-equipped 486 mobo's then I'd like to
> have it for testing some PCI-drivers. Mainly for booting though and
> via gdb serial line ... 486'es are really good, still. No fans, small,
> almost no heat! :-)

Oh yes, they have some uses, but I think they are too slow for the
Hurd at the moment.

> Anyway, I cannot seem to find a gnu-latest.tar.gz for the new libio stuff
> on alpha. I tried, despite better knowledge, to upgrade my old stdio
> install using apt. And since that failed, of course, I thought I'd
> reinstall ... but I cannot find a gnu-latest.tar.gz from this year,
> have I gone blind, or lost track completely?
>
> Hmmmm, or am I losing a point or two here? Is it that you reinstall
> with an old/existsing gnu-latest which in turn "transforms" that
> to a libio install after a couple of of magic ./native-installs?

You can get it at:

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian-staging/gnu-libio-20020422.tar.gz

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org