Re: installing baseHurd over the network

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 11:35:09PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 06:18:32PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> > > The PC is a 486/66 with 12MB RAM, 2GB HD, floppy but no CDROM.
> > The Hurd likes swap, with so little RAM you should realy give it a lot.
> > Since partition sizes are limited to ~1 GB, setting the rest for swap
> > might be a good idea.
> The Hurd might need some swap, but it doesn't need ~1 GB! You should
> not have a lot more swap than twice the amount of ram anyhow. I doubt
> you can do anything useful with the Hurd on this machine anyhow, the
> Hurd isn't optimized.

If it's one of those rare PCI-equipped 486 mobo's then I'd like to
have it for testing some PCI-drivers. Mainly for booting though and
via gdb serial line ... 486'es are really good, still. No fans, small,
almost no heat! :-)

Anyway, I cannot seem to find a gnu-latest.tar.gz for the new libio stuff
on alpha. I tried, despite better knowledge, to upgrade my old stdio
install using apt. And since that failed, of course, I thought I'd
reinstall ... but I cannot find a gnu-latest.tar.gz from this year,
have I gone blind, or lost track completely?

Hmmmm, or am I losing a point or two here? Is it that you reinstall
with an old/existsing gnu-latest which in turn "transforms" that
to a libio install after a couple of of magic ./native-installs?

Regards
 /Joachim

 --
 Joachim Nilsson   <joachim.nilsson@vmlinux.org>