Re: installing baseHurd over the network

Hi Thomas,

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 07:46:19PM +0200, Thomas Hofer wrote:
> I want to take a (quick) look at the hurd, but I ran into some troubles.
> I've got an E1 image and I'd like to know if a H2-image would take me
> further.

We went recently through an ABI change in glibc, I suggest that you
take the latest tarball from alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian-libio/gnu-*tgz
and install GNU from there, since the old system is non-upgradable.

> The PC is a 486/66 with 12MB RAM, 2GB HD, floppy but no CDROM.

The Hurd likes swap, with so little RAM you should realy give it a lot.
Since partition sizes are limited to ~1 GB, setting the rest for swap
might be a good idea.

> Since the PC has no CDROM, I'd like to install everything over the
> network (from my local server). E1 doesn't support this. Does H2
> support a network-install? Is 12MB RAM still enough for a H2-install?

You can fetch the tarball into your server and dump it to a local port
using netcat, then boot the install system and create a temporary
ext2 filesystem where you want the swap. Get netcat into that box and
untar the GNU base system from your server (through netcat), passing
-p and --same-onwer to tar. You'll need a GRUB floppy to boot then.

> When I first tried E1 on another machine that has two BSD partitions, I
> encountered a strange behaviour: cfdisk-partitioning was normal, but
> the debian-installer counted partitions inside of the BSD disklabels as
> hdaxx-partitions, and so e.g. hda5 became hda9. I assume this is a
> kernel-feature the installer isn't aware of. Does anyone know if this
> strangeness regarding BSD-partitions still exists in H2 or woody?

I don't know if the Linux build that ships with the installer supports
disklabels and/or UFS. If you have a native BSD system there, better
use it to untar the GNU base tarball manualy.

Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992