Re: dpkg-shlibdeps (was Re: Cannot install HURD: bsdutils missing)

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 12:51:12PM -0400, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> There is no logic in putting symlinks into all packages.
> The whole purpose of having the usr symlink is for packages that install
> into /usr.  If we were going to change packages, they should not install
> into /usr in the first place, so we could just remove the symlink.

Mmmh, on second glance it seems that Robert suggested just that, I
apologize.  Using the empty prefix (NOT /, that is wrong. it should
be --prefix= , without anything after the =) is appealing, but we
should be able to make the system work flawlessly without that, and
can do it at any time later, without any urgency.