dpkg-shlibdeps (was Re: Cannot install HURD: bsdutils missing)

* Jeff Bailey <jbailey@nisa.net> [020502 13:21]:
> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 10:09:49AM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> [...]
> > I'm starting to compile some packages I haven't found on either
> > alpha or f.d.o.  Nothing fancy yet, just seeing if they package
> > correctly and using them for my own use so far.  Should I upload
> > them somewhere?
>
> Before you do, please make sure that you're using our specially-hacked
> version of dpkg-shlibdeps.  There's a version of it in
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/jbailey/ - This works around the
> problems caused by the /usr -> . symlink.  Without this your build
> dependancies will be wrong.

Ah thanks Jeff, very interesting.  Looks like this has been an issue for
quite awhile.  Any idea when this (with whatever logic) is this going to
get merged into the upstream dpkg-dev binary package?  My google search
on this issue revealed other ports having problems too.  I don't know if
this fix is universal.  I wouldn't think it would be too hard to merge.
Yet I guess we are still in a freeze waiting for the Woody security
infrastructure issues to get worked out et al.

> > It sounds like the autobuilder will be online again sometime soon
> > but I don't know when.
>
> Hopefully soon.  I'll probably try a third video card today or
> tommorow.

Good luck with that.  Sounds frustrating.

--
-- Grant Bowman                                <grantbow@grantbow.com>