Re: Cannot install HURD: bsdutils missing

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 10:09:49AM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:

> > A part of the archive (including the bsdutils package) is still on
> > <ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian-libio>.

> Out of curiosity, why is that?  Probably just convience for porting.

A number of packages are critical for operations, but don't compile
without modifications or some other assistance.  We don't upload those
to the archive.

For example, glibc was in there until recently (well, actually it
still is, but it won't be *very* soon) because we needed to change the
package name from libc0.2 to libc0.3, as well as get some other
patches.

gcc and binutils are in there because a bug in glibc prevents clean
compilation.

util-linux is in there because half of the utilities don't apply to
us.  The other half we really need.

> I'm starting to compile some packages I haven't found on either
> alpha or f.d.o.  Nothing fancy yet, just seeing if they package
> correctly and using them for my own use so far.  Should I upload
> them somewhere?

Before you do, please make sure that you're using our specially-hacked
version of dpkg-shlibdeps.  There's a version of it in
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/jbailey/ - This works around the
problems caused by the /usr -> . symlink.  Without this your build
dependancies will be wrong.

> It sounds like the autobuilder will be online again sometime soon
> but I don't know when.

Hopefully soon.  I'll probably try a third video card today or
tommorow.

--
 One of the great things about books is sometimes
 there are some fantastic pictures.