Re: dpkg-shlibdeps (was Re: Cannot install HURD: bsdutils missing)

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 09:21:43AM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> * Robert Millan <zeratul2@wanadoo.es> [020503 08:37]:
> > On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:01:12PM -0400, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > > No. See
> > > http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2002/debian-dpkg-200204/msg00094.html
> >
> > I think this problem needs to be fixed in the root, having a usr -> .
> > simlink on the DESTDIR of every debian package when it's being built
> > on GNU. We can't do that for binary-all packages but we'll be able to
> > when arch-handling is fixed.
> Robert, I am one for fixes that get results, but this indeed sounds very
> ugly as Marcus mentioned.  I do see the logic, but the requirement to
> change all the other packages makes it reasonably untenable.

There is no logic in putting symlinks into all packages.
The whole purpose of having the usr symlink is for packages that install
into /usr.  If we were going to change packages, they should not install
into /usr in the first place, so we could just remove the symlink.

Of course this has still the problem of changing all packages :)