Re: 3c556 ethernet

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:

> Is your card unsupported in gnumach or is there just a bug in gnumach?

It's unsupported.

> Does gnumach prints anything about your card?

Well, I see the line printed by Donald Becker's driver but it doesn't see
the card.

> And what versions of linux support your card?

Examining the file linux/drivers/net/3c59x.c on Linux, the first mention
of the 3c556 that I find is this:

	01Aug00 <2.2.17-pre14> andrewm
	    - Added 3c556 support (Fred Maciel)

So it looks like 3c556 support started around Linux 2.2.17.

> Gnumach drivers are Linux 2.0 drivers. If it's supported in linux 2.2
> you might try the experimental OSKit-Mach.

Sounds promising.  I won't have any time this week to play with the Hurd,
but I'm eager to start mucking with it.  Getting my ethernet working is
probably a good place to start.  I have a lot of reading to catch up on as
well before I start asking too many questions.  Right now I'm working on
reading the mailing list archive, trying to make sense of the gnumach/
oskit-mach/ l4 situation etc...

Thanks to everyone who replied about my cross-install w/o ethernet
question as well.

tobin