Re: 3c556 ethernet

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 04:12:56PM +0100, Tobin Fricke wrote:
> > And what versions of linux support your card?
>
> Examining the file linux/drivers/net/3c59x.c on Linux, the first mention
> of the 3c556 that I find is this:
>
> 	01Aug00 <2.2.17-pre14> andrewm
> 	    - Added 3c556 support (Fred Maciel)
>
> So it looks like 3c556 support started around Linux 2.2.17.

The current OSKit snapshot has Linux 2.2.12 drivers. I think it
shouldn't be too hard to port the driver.

> > Gnumach drivers are Linux 2.0 drivers. If it's supported in linux 2.2
> > you might try the experimental OSKit-Mach.
>
> Sounds promising.  I won't have any time this week to play with the Hurd,
> but I'm eager to start mucking with it.  Getting my ethernet working is
> probably a good place to start.  I have a lot of reading to catch up on as
> well before I start asking too many questions.  Right now I'm working on
> reading the mailing list archive, trying to make sense of the gnumach/
> oskit-mach/ l4 situation etc...

The OSKit-Mach console is still unusable. Marcus told me that this is
just a matter of weeks, I'm not sure there are not still some bugs in
OSKit-Mach, it's not very well tested.

For the kernels the Hurd uses:
gnumach: The kernel the Hurd uses now.
OSKit-Mach: The kernel the Hurd is going to use in the near future.
L4: A big change that's the kernel the Hurd is going to use in the far
    future.

However, being able to run on a lot of different kernels has always
been a goal of the Hurd. We don't know what nice microkernels will
exist in the future. :)

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org