Re: Debian packages, and 3c556 ethernet

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 12:10:29AM +0100, Tobin Fricke wrote:
> I've just installed Debian GNU/Hurd via the "giant tarball" scheme
> (originating from a SuSE linux installation) and it *works*!  How
> exciting. (-:

That's nice to hear. :)

> I have two questions.  First, my network card is a 3com 3c556 "laptop
> tornado" (mini-pci), which doesn't seem to be supported.  But I see that
> GNUMach includes 3c59x.c by Donald Becker.  The version of 3c59x.c that
> comes with recent Linux kernels supports my network card, so I'm wondering
> how hard it would be to bring this support over to GNU Mach so that I can
> have network access in Hurd?

Is your card unsupported in gnumach or is there just a bug in gnumach?
Does gnumach prints anything about your card? And what versions of
linux support your card? Gnumach drivers are Linux 2.0 drivers. If
it's supported in linux 2.2 you might try the experimental OSKit-Mach.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org