Re: about sysvinit

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 03:30:51PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > the hurdinit pkg would be the dummy one used now, or maybe an special
> > init for the system, i don't kow.

You made me thinking.  The Hurd has an init system (it's /hurd/init, and it
starts /libexec/rc at run time, which in turn starts the servers in the
Debian packages).

Depending on _why_ the packages depend on sysvinit, it might be enough to
depend on sysvinit only on Debian GNU/Linux systems.  In this case, the
packages have to be changed to add sysvinit to the dependencies by the
dpkg-substvars mechanism in debian/rules depending on the architecture they
are built for.

But the reason why they depend on sysvinit might be many, and I don't have
an overview of what the common reasons are.  That I ported sysvinit at all
was a kludge for Debian GNU/Hurd by itself:  The Hurd doesn't really need it.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de