Re: Installation

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 09:50:59PM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

> I'm trying to install GNU/Hurd, dpkg method.

  Do you mean the method documented at

http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install

?  I believe that the dpkg method is no longer supported.

  The tar acrhive method is preferred at this point.  Up to date
instructions are available at

http://web.walfield.org/pub/people/neal/papers/hurd-installation-guide/english/hurd-install-guide.html

There are also French and Spanish translations of this guide, I
believe.

> GNU/Linux cross-installation worked, I set up GRUB (I think) the
> right way, but at Hurd boot, I get one message "SCSI IO error dev
> 08:04 block XXXX absolute block YYYYYY" (or was it "sector" instead
> of block?) ...

  I think GNUmach reports an error at boot if you have an extended
partition.  It is non-fatal.  I am not able to say whether the above
error message is that error message, tho'.

Hope that helps.

Richard
kreuter at ausar.rutgers.edu