Re: PCMCIA and other help

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 12:07:44AM -0800, Ian Duggan wrote:

> > > There is work being done in the L4Env project at Dresden to create a
> > > framework for L4 that would allow one to drop in Linux drivers and
> > > recompile to get a working driver. I'm not sure of the status of the
> > > project, but it appears to be under development.
> >
> > I don't see the point, as this is what OSKit does.  OSKit does much more of
> > course, but it is also very modular, so you can only use the Linux driver
> > framework and ignore everything else.
>
> It's my understanding that the OSKit has a set of Linux drivers from an
> older version of 2.2 Linux.

Well, this framework and the drivers can be upgraded, which I guess is
substantially less work than starting from scratch, and everybody could
benefit from it.  OSKIt is used in many projects.

> drivers. I don't think OSKit is set up to easily be able to drop in any
> driver from the Linux codebase and get it to work, but I admit I'm
> uninformed here.

Well, not any driver.  The Linux internal design doesn't allow this easily.
I would be surprised if L4Env would allow this.  OSKit takes block and
device and nic drivers from Linux, and some serial device drivers from BSD.

> I'm also under the impression that OSKit is x86 only.

Your impression is wrong.

Well, of course if L4Env will flourish and mature, very well.  I am just
worried that too much work is duplicated in this area.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de