Re: installing HURD debs from Linux?

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 06:24:56PM -0500, "Daniel E. Baumann" <baumannd@msoe.edu> was heard to say:
> Well after I changes my sources.list to point at alpha.gnu.org along with a
> debian mirror bsdutils now wants to be upgraded. I can select gcc and download
> the debs using aptitude and it wants to upgrade bsdutils, dpkg, and gnumach.
> It however will not install them (I figure it wouldn't). Is there some way
> that could get aptitude (apt still bitches about the sysvinit dependency not
> bening met) to call dpkg with --root=/gnu and get it to cross install? I'm
> gonna do some digging and see if I can come up with a solution, but if anyone
> has any idea I'd appreciate it. BTW, how are you guys getting apt to work
> under the HURD if there are all these unmet dependencies?

  aptitude has no provisions for explicitly setting the arguments to dpkg -- I don't
even remember offhand if the apt API would let me do that.  I think you may be able to set
this stuff in /etc/apt.conf, but you should consider that pre/postinsts will probably want to
run programs inside the Hurd system and weird stuff might happen if you try this..

  I'd suggest just downloading files, letting it fail to install them, and then booting
Hurd and installing them with dpkg.  (cross-installation is a hack, from what I understand)

  Does aptitude compile on the Hurd?  You could try that, if the dependency handling is
less strict than apt-get's.  (file wishlist bugs if you need to modify code to do this)  Once
I get the time to move my partitions appropriately to get a free partition [1] I'll compile
it myself if no-one beats me to it :)

  Daniel

  [1] I really messed up when creating my partition layout..I overused primary partitions,
and now I can't create new partitions or move any of my current partitions without serious
work.  I can only ascribe it to temporary insanity..

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|           "You see, I've already stolen the spork of wisdom                 |