Re: Hurd stopped working :(

On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 10:08:03AM -0400, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > No, this is unrelated. The term translator handles input stream of
> > characters. It would be useful to get the scancode directly and do mapping
> > in the translator.
> >
> > What you mean should probably be handled by a device similar to framebuffer
> > device in Linux. The GGI people have some ideas here, I am sure, and i think
> > they are interested in contributing a translator. Maybe this translator
> > could do text mode as well.
>
> term is responsible for both input and output.
>
> When I've spoken about punting the Mach console driver, I mean getting
> rid of both halves, and having term poke the screen memory and
> directly fetch scancodes.  This is not to imply that this is the Right
> Thing; just that it's what I've been thinking of.

Allright then. I was a bit confused with the framebuffer device in Linux and
what the GGI people do.

The GGI people have a thing called KGI.
>From http://www.ggi-project.org/docs/Whatiskgi/Whatiskgi.html:

   KGI stands for Kernel Graphics Interface. KGI has two
   basic goals:
    1. to add support for multiple monitors and keyboards
    2. to add support for the needs of libggi

In the Hurd, it would be a translator which would be set to /dev/display and
provide a full set of subdirectories head? containing vty* devices.

It would be great to get the KGI people interested in implementing this on
the Hurd. There was already a short discussion about KGI on the Hurd on
their mailing list, but it did not lead to anyone working on it.

`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org  Check Key server
Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de                        PGP Key ID 36E7CD09
http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Marcus.Brinkmann/