Re: Hurd stopped working :(

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 06:19:09AM +0300, Kalle Olavi Niemitalo wrote:
> > I haven't bothered to examine the problem further, nor have I
> > tried hurd-19990907.  (Building it seems to require tetex-bin, so
> > I built that too, but the teTeX packages have so far refused to
> > install.)
>
> use dpkg -i --force-overwrite. The conflicts with the curses package are
> irrelevant.

That wasn't the only problem; some files were in /usr/share/texmf
and a script assumed they were in /usr/lib/texmf.  Perhaps this
was because my tetex-bin and tetex-base weren't from the same
version.  Anyway, it works now.

> 1. Probably don't spend your time on loadkeys, as we will use the linux
> console code soon, and then we will want to use whatever linux uses
> (console-tools).

Oh.  Not then.

> 2. [...] However, working on a fancy terminal
> translator is encouraged, to make a kernel driven console driver
> unnecesasarz at some later time (contact Thomas about that)

That's what I meant: a program which pokes characters to video
memory without using the Mach console driver.  I'll ask for help
when I need it (probably soon ;)