Re: Trouble installing Hurd

   From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)
   Date: 27 Sep 1999 12:13:07 +0200

   Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

   > On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 01:53:51PM +0100, Chris Lingard wrote:
   >
   > > file system not unmounted cleanly Please fsck
   > > mount read-only must use fsysopt --writable
   >
   > Yeah, we all see this. Needs to be fixed, but nobody has debugged it yet.
   >
   > Just boot to multi user and it will automagically try to fsck the disk. Or
   > fsck from Linux, or udner Hurd even.

   Sadly, I get this every time.  I.e. I boot multi-user, it tells me
   it's fscking, then I type "reboot" and it tells me it needs to fsck
   _again_.  I can't do a formal bug report right now, the Hurd machine
   is at home.  But if you're interested I can do a few more tests.

Then don't reboot after fscking.  Right now the Hurd cannot unmount
its root filesystem cleanly.  Yes that's a bug!  Yes it should be
fixed![1] No it's (almost) completely harmless.[2]

   Also, I get "unknown device or filesystem" when trying to fsck
   partitions other than /.  I thought maybe I need to use "-o hurd" in
   order to make this work, but it appears that didn't help, either.
   Hm.  Again, no formal bug report right now, just a (somewhat vague)
   memory.  If you wish, I'll try to investigate.  And I'll create a new
   filesystem under Linux with and without "-o hurd" and under Hurd, if
   you want.

You simply have to add your other filesystems to /etc/fstab before you
can fsck them.

Mark

[1] Apparently it's not high enough on the priority list of the people
who are actually ding Hurd development.

[2] To be absolutely sure you lose no data, use the "sync" command
before rebooting.