Trouble installing Hurd

Hello

Have been reading this news groups for some weeks but I am still having
problems.  I run Debian Linux and have checked the version of mke2fs.  I
have tried several tarballs, and several partitions, and always get a
similar error.

Got a home made machine with two Seagate 4.2 Gb disks.  I have a 500 Mb
partition as /dev/hda1,  and I follow the instructions, (know them off
by heart now)

I boot from a floppy and up comes Hurd.  When it gets to the disk I get:

hda4: bad access
block 28 count 2 blockend 30 nrsects
end request I/O error dev 03:04 sector 28

This is the last primary partition and it holds the rest of the
partitions

The script native_install runs OK; then I reboot the machine, single
user again.  This time I get:

file system not unmounted cleanly Please fsck
mount read-only must use fsysopt --writable

If I fsck the partition, then reboot, it 'works' OK.  The fsysopt
--writable is not an allowed instruction.

What I get is a very unstable system;  df does not work and editing the
fstab to mount other partitions is hairy.  I have tried MAKEDEV to build
for the other partitions

What am I doing wrong.  The disks were partitioned with Debian fdisk.
Must I have just four primary partitions per disk?

Chris