Re: First-time Hurd installation: booting fails

Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

> Ick.  Oh, yes.  Hm.  It doesn't work, however.  I now did the
> following:
>     root=(hd0,2)
>     kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd0s3 -s
>     module=/boot/serverboot.gz
>     boot
> And it still fails at the same spot: after recognizing COM0 and COM1,
> it fails with a ``Cannot load user-bootstrap image: error code 6000''.

I thought maybe the problem is with large partitions.  So I split the
1.7GB partition up in to (both < 1GB) and put the tarball back on the
first of these.

No joy :-(

Exactly the same thing happens.

Hm.  Lessee if enabling swap in the servers.boot file helps...  No, it

Btw, when looking for hardware, a few things fail, such as
initialization of a WD SCSI adapter.  I guess that's okay since there
is no WD SCSI adapter in the system.  And then it complains about a
few interrupts... hm... ``EATA0: address foo in use, skipping
probe!''.  This message appears three times, for foo in { 0x, 0xe410,
0x170 }.  Dunno what that means.

But somebody mentioned a bug in init, so I'll try to extract that from
the older tarball to see how that goes.  If that doesn't work either,
I'll try the old tarball.

Stay tuned...

I like BOTH kinds of music.