Re: First-time Hurd installation: booting fails

Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

> Ick.  Oh, yes.  Hm.  It doesn't work, however.  I now did the
> following:
>
>     root=(hd0,2)
>     kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd0s3 -s
>     module=/boot/serverboot.gz
>     boot
>
> And it still fails at the same spot: after recognizing COM0 and COM1,
> it fails with a ``Cannot load user-bootstrap image: error code 6000''.

I thought maybe the problem is with large partitions.  So I split the
1.7GB partition up in to (both < 1GB) and put the tarball back on the
first of these.

No joy :-(

Exactly the same thing happens.

Hm.  Lessee if enabling swap in the servers.boot file helps...  No, it
doesn't.

Btw, when looking for hardware, a few things fail, such as
initialization of a WD SCSI adapter.  I guess that's okay since there
is no WD SCSI adapter in the system.  And then it complains about a
few interrupts... hm... ``EATA0: address foo in use, skipping
probe!''.  This message appears three times, for foo in { 0x, 0xe410,
0x170 }.  Dunno what that means.

But somebody mentioned a bug in init, so I'll try to extract that from
the older tarball to see how that goes.  If that doesn't work either,
I'll try the old tarball.

Stay tuned...

kai
--