Re: First-time Hurd installation: booting fails

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 01:43:54AM +0200, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> > Got a mostly empty /dev directory, it only had a MAKEDEV script.
> > Tried to execute that script from Linux, no go (was missing settrans).
>
> Oh come on, that *can't* work :)  (I hope there is no document out there
> that says you should do so, otherwise we should fix it asap).

The `easy guide' says ``Then you have to recreate the device files,
due to a bug in the tarball.''  And the command given (ln -s
../sbin/MAKEDEV /gnu/dev/MAKEDEV) does something, but `recreating the
device files' is not what it does.

I figured that to `recreate the device files' I had to run the MAKEDEV
script.

So maybe I was trying to be too smart.  But I hope you can see now
where I was mislead.

I suggest that the passage be changed.  Since /gnu/dev/MAKEDEV is okay
in the current tarball, maybe it is easiest to just remove it.

> > Proceeded to boot from the GRUB floppy.  Entered:
> >
> >     root=(hd0,2)
> >     kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd1s3 -s
>                                    ^^^^^
> That should be hd0s3.

Ick.  Oh, yes.  Hm.  It doesn't work, however.  I now did the
following:

    root=(hd0,2)
    kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd0s3 -s
    module=/boot/serverboot.gz
    boot

And it still fails at the same spot: after recognizing COM0 and COM1,
it fails with a ``Cannot load user-bootstrap image: error code 6000''.

So, what can I do?

I think I read that it doesn't grok partitions >1GB -- is that the
problem?  Hm.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.