Re: cross-dpkg problems

On Sun, Nov 08, 1998 at 10:50:05PM -0600, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:

> This is also useful so that people with non-Debian systems can get
> involved with cross-compiling.  You don't need a fully dpkg-managed
> Hurd platform to be able to cross-compile .debs.

Well, you need dpkg and friends to build and install deb packages (building
on the local machine and installing on the hurd).

> I'm simply trying to find quick ways so that it's not just Debian
> users who can help us.

They become Debian GNU/Hurd users then :)

> I guess the main point here is that I didn't effectively communicate
> my time frame or my audience.  I'm thinking of people who want to help
> build Debian GNU/Hurd, and the task I wish to accomplish is easy
> enough to finish in the next couple of days.

I am not sure I can see what you are trying to accomplish. You will need a
Hurd base system (whatever it is --- a tar file, a ext2fs image or
whatever), which is managed by dpkg, and you need dpkg and friends for cross
compilation (to run the debian scripts, build packages and install
packages).

Thank you,
Marcus