Re: cross-dpkg problems

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 10:13:07AM -0500, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

>    From: Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@trick.fig.org>
>    Date: 06 Nov 1998 12:20:15 -0600
>
>    Basically, dpkg is not suitable for cross-platform installations,
>    because the --instroot option uses the chroot call, which breaks all
>    the installation scripts (i.e. they see only Hurd binaries, rather
>    than the current system's).  There's no easy solution to this problem,
>    aside from running dpkg under the Hurd.

Well, later we found that the solution is not to run the installations
scripts at all (with the --unpack option). Some scripts are essential, but
only for upgrading. A new install should work fine.

> Oh, cool.  That means that when running dpkg on the Hurd we'll be able
> to see if there are any bugs in the Hurd's chroot.  You never know...

This is only true if we try to install packages on a different system while
running hurd. Running a native dpkg to install packages on the very same
system does not invoke chroot.