Re: cross-dpkg problems

Hi!

 JB> --On Sat, Nov 7, 1998 5:53 pm +0100 "Marcus Brinkmann"
 JB> <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

 >>> 3) They have some non-Hurd-based system, and a free partition (or
 >>> disk space for a subdir install).  I'm very interested in
 >>> supporting this case, because the vast majority of people
 >>> interested in the Hurd are in this category.  The approach is as
 >>> you state: install the ``base'', then we have case #1 again.

 MB>  I can't see why it is so important to support this case. As you
 MB>  don't know what OS is installed, you have trouble supporting
 MB>  the user with this option

Actually, I know exactly what OS is installed - it's another free
*nix (which I should have mentioned in my original message).  I don't
intend to do anything more fancy with this option than extend it to
people who wanted to try gnu-0.2, but didn't have the desire to
download the whole tarball.

This is also useful so that people with non-Debian systems can get
involved with cross-compiling.  You don't need a fully dpkg-managed
Hurd platform to be able to cross-compile .debs.

I'm simply trying to find quick ways so that it's not just Debian
users who can help us.

 >> Especially, if they already have a free partition, they can use
 >> the base disks, too:

Once we have the base disks, case #3 is irrelevant, but before we have
the base disks, it is very, very relevant.

 JB> Gordon sees it as a very important goal (and I see his point)
 JB> that someone can try hurd *without* a free partition.

 JB> This requires, obviously, a special boot loader for each host OS
 JB> along the lines of loadlin, with the ability to use a regular
 JB> file as the root device.

This is true, too, but I wasn't thinking about it when I posted my
message.

I guess the main point here is that I didn't effectively communicate
my time frame or my audience.  I'm thinking of people who want to help
build Debian GNU/Hurd, and the task I wish to accomplish is easy
enough to finish in the next couple of days.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
    Lovers of freedom, unite!     \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)