Re: Helping out with debian/hurd

On Sun, Nov 08, 1998 at 01:23:50AM -0600, cbbrowne@hex.net wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> > Both organizations, SPI and GNU, serve free software in an excellent way.
> > Both are sponsoring third party projects from time to time.
>
> A complication that comes up as soon as you start looking at money is that
> there is then need for someone to be responsible to decide what to do with
> it.
>
> SPI defines its financial policy here:
> <http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/resolution-1998-09-24.2>
>
> And that policy really doesn't say much about what what they're going to
> spend where on what.

The money is distributed among worthful free software projects _if and only
if_ it is not marked for a special purpose. If you mark it for Debian on the
money transfer, it is the Debian project which decides how to spent it.
Usually, we will pay our Internic costs, buy sometimes hardware for our
project (_not_ for individual developers) such as hard discs, and other such
costs.

> There may not be a big problem when the amounts of money are tiny.  When the
> amount of money is small, it should be pretty easy to decide that "We can
> pay for ``So and so'' to work full time on ``foo'' for 3 months."

We don't pay people to work for us. We all work voluntary. All we need to
cover is our expense. We are a non-profit organization. Our expense is
minimal, and so is our financial ressource. Money donated to us will be used
directly for the benefit of the project.

Thank you,