Re: Pending removals: Some happstack, iteratee, mueval, leksah

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 03.07.2015, 22:47 -0400 schrieb Gwern Branwen:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 5:25 PM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org>
> wrote:
> > You can install a more recent version of GHC independently of the
> > Debian packages and use that to make sure your packages work with
> > reasonable new dependencies. I suggest to at least aim for
> > compatibility with stackage LTS – this way, you are shielded from
> > unrelated build failures in your dependencies.
>
> Yes, well, then I would have another GHC version floating around my
> system and causing trouble; I switched to using the Debian packages
> precisely because installing it myself was leading to cruft...

hmm. It is a bit ironic that we (Debian) cannot provide a completely
usable environment to developers. Although it would probably work if
you were using unstable.

> Anyway, it's reportedly working on 7.10 now so I've pushed a new
> version to Hackage.

Great. I see Clint already uploaded it.

>  I've also asked Chris Done if he wants to take
> over the package; I no longer use Haskell that much and am out of the
> packaging loop (for example, I have no idea what this stackage you
> mention is).

Stackage is a project to ensure that of all (participating) Haskell
packages, there is always a choice of versions so that all packages
work together. In other words: They are doing the same work as the
Debian packaging team, just without the narrow Debian-only focus, and
hence we try to build on their work as much as possible.

Also, they have a good quality assurance setup, so if you add your
package to their list, they will notify you if it breaks due to new
versions of your dependencies.

All in all, adding mueval to stackage saves you work and avoids worries
like the current, so I suggest you give it a shot. It does not require
you to install anything on your machine:
http://www.stackage.org/authors

If your package is in stackage, you can assume that you will never have
to hear from us (the Debian maintainers) about old versions again :-)