Re: Accepted ghc 7.8.20140710-1 (source all amd64)

On So, 2014-07-13 at 11:07 +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 13.07.2014, 10:13 +0200 schrieb Sebastian Dröge:
> > > I would've assumed that ARM should be no problem as apparently quite a
> > > few people are using GHC to target Android and iOS...
> > > I could probably be more useful with #3 :)
> >
> > Actually for the ARM problem a short look in the bugtracker gave this:
> > https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8976
> >
> > From reading the linked article it doesn't seem that complicated to get
> > it work, most of the work probably being to find a fast ARM machine that
> > can be used for building (I don't want to try this on my RPI!).
>
> I also don’t think its a hard problem, but someone still needs to dig
> into it.
>
> Just use the Debian porter box (see http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi),
> that’s what they are for.

I'm trying a build now on abel, let's see what happens. It seems the
ld.gold wrapper script that filters out some parameters is not needed
anymore. compiler/main/SysTools.lhs properly detects gold and only uses
those parameters with ld.bfd.

> > For MIPS there's a patch in the BTS which would disable dynamic support,
> > so that doesn't seem like the best idea: https://bugs.debian.org/751479
> > So that needs some further investigation, but maybe some combination of
> > using ld.gold and sprinkling some -fPIC around is already enough.
>
> Great, give it a shot :-)

Seems like you decided to just take that patch instead ;) I guess I'll
be busy enough with arm for now.