Re: Accepted ghc 7.8.20140710-1 (source all amd64)

Dear Sebastian,

Am Freitag, den 11.07.2014, 13:37 +0200 schrieb Sebastian Dröge:
> On Do, 2014-07-10 at 09:35 +0000, Joachim Breitner wrote:
>
> > Changes:
> >  ghc (7.8.20140710-1) experimental; urgency=medium
> >  .
> >    * New upstream release (7.8.3)
> >      The version number is a work-around for a glitch earlier, see below.
>
> do you plan to get 7.8.3 together with the (hopefully soon to be
> released) new Haskell Platform into unstable so it can be included in
> the next Debian release?
>
> Is there anything you could use some help with to make this happen
> faster?
>

> I'm mostly interested in the new IO scheduler in ghc 7.8, and it would
> be quite sad if that couldn't be included in the next Debian release.

I’m doubtful about putting 7.8 into unstable.
 * The change to dynamic linking might cause problems that we regret
   later. I might be a bit over-cautious here, but I’d rather see that
   well tested by others :-)
 * We’d lose Haskell on arm* and mips*, unless someone steps up to
   investigate these build failures:
   https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=ghc&suite=experimental
   This is probably where you can help the most.
 * I’m sure many of our packages do not build with 7.8 yet, and not all
   of them have active upstreams. This would imply that once we put 7.8
   into unstable, we might not migrate _anything_ to testing until _all_
   these issues are fixed. Given that no new migrations are allowed
   from September 05 on, according to the release team, this might be
   too tight.
   (Ok, I just notice that it says “no new”, not “all have to be done
   by”, so we might be ok)

I guess if one of these issues would be resolve (e.g. #2, hint, hint) I
could be convinced to move 7.8 to unstable.