Re: Accepted ghc 7.8.20140710-1 (source all amd64)

On So, 2014-07-13 at 09:48 +0200, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> On Fr, 2014-07-11 at 13:47 +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > Dear Sebastian,

> > > do you plan to get 7.8.3 together with the (hopefully soon to be
> > > released) new Haskell Platform into unstable so it can be included in
> > > the next Debian release?
> > >
> > > Is there anything you could use some help with to make this happen
> > > faster?
> > >

> > > I'm mostly interested in the new IO scheduler in ghc 7.8, and it would
> > > be quite sad if that couldn't be included in the next Debian release.
> >
> > I’m doubtful about putting 7.8 into unstable.
> >  * The change to dynamic linking might cause problems that we regret
> >    later. I might be a bit over-cautious here, but I’d rather see that
> >    well tested by others :-)
> >  * We’d lose Haskell on arm* and mips*, unless someone steps up to
> >    investigate these build failures:
> >    https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=ghc&suite=experimental
> >    This is probably where you can help the most.
> >  * I’m sure many of our packages do not build with 7.8 yet, and not all
> >    of them have active upstreams. This would imply that once we put 7.8
> >    into unstable, we might not migrate _anything_ to testing until _all_
> >    these issues are fixed. Given that no new migrations are allowed
> >    from September 05 on, according to the release team, this might be
> >    too tight.
> >    (Ok, I just notice that it says “no new”, not “all have to be done
> >    by”, so we might be ok)
> >
> > I guess if one of these issues would be resolve (e.g. #2, hint, hint) I
> > could be convinced to move 7.8 to unstable.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'll see if I can do anything useful for the ARM/MIPS build failures but
> don't expect too much there from me :)
> I would've assumed that ARM should be no problem as apparently quite a
> few people are using GHC to target Android and iOS...
> I could probably be more useful with #3 :)
>
> For #1, AFAIK Fedora is planning to switch quite soon so maybe that can
> help to get some useful numbers there.

Actually for the ARM problem a short look in the bugtracker gave this:

From reading the linked article it doesn't seem that complicated to get
it work, most of the work probably being to find a fast ARM machine that
can be used for building (I don't want to try this on my RPI!).

For MIPS there's a patch in the BTS which would disable dynamic support,
so that doesn't seem like the best idea: https://bugs.debian.org/751479
So that needs some further investigation, but maybe some combination of
using ld.gold and sprinkling some -fPIC around is already enough.