Re: Request to Join Project pkg-haskell from John Millikin (jmillikin-guest)

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I assume you meant to reply to the list, hence doing the same.

Ah, yes I did, sorry about that. I tried to use a desktop email client
so gpg signatures and such would work, but it seems I screwed it up.

> Hmm, I’m not convinced that this is a good idea. One advantage of the
> DHG is that everyone of us can easily do changes affecting many or all
> of the Haskell packages directly. This would not be the case any more if
> the packaging was hosted somewhere else. It would also prevent the
> packages from appearing on
> http://pkg-haskell.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/pet.cgi
>
> What is your motivation to use your own infrastructure instead of the
> common one?

First, I strongly prefer using Bazaar over Darcs or Git. Bazaar
retains more metadata about files and the repository, has a nicer user
interface, and is very easy to programmatically interact with via its
Python API.

Second, Alioth seems to have some performance issues -- 'darcs get' on
the trees there is taking almost a minute, and the graphical branch
browser just spins indefinitely until timeout. I don't think the issue
is on my end, because other sites are working fine.

Third, and this one is maybe just selfishness, but I'd rather have
control over how my software is packaged. Using Ubuntu has made me
pretty gun-shy about maintainer patches, so being able to review
changes to the packaging is very attractive.

If it turns out to be a problem, then I promise to move the
repositories to Alioth, but for now is it OK if they're hosted
elsewhere?