Re: Request to Join Project pkg-haskell from John Millikin (jmillikin-guest)

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 20.05.2012, 13:03 -0700 schrieb John Millikin:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hmm, I’m not convinced that this is a good idea. One advantage of the
> > DHG is that everyone of us can easily do changes affecting many or all
> > of the Haskell packages directly. This would not be the case any more if
> > the packaging was hosted somewhere else. It would also prevent the
> > packages from appearing on
> > http://pkg-haskell.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/pet.cgi
> >
> > What is your motivation to use your own infrastructure instead of the
> > common one?
>
> First, I strongly prefer using Bazaar over Darcs or Git. Bazaar
> retains more metadata about files and the repository, has a nicer user
> interface, and is very easy to programmatically interact with via its
> Python API.
>
> Second, Alioth seems to have some performance issues -- 'darcs get' on
> the trees there is taking almost a minute, and the graphical branch
> browser just spins indefinitely until timeout. I don't think the issue
> is on my end, because other sites are working fine.
>
> Third, and this one is maybe just selfishness, but I'd rather have
> control over how my software is packaged. Using Ubuntu has made me
> pretty gun-shy about maintainer patches, so being able to review
> changes to the packaging is very attractive.
>
> If it turns out to be a problem, then I promise to move the
> repositories to Alioth, but for now is it OK if they're hosted
> elsewhere?

well, after I told you my POV, I won’t stop you. After all, I might be
wrong :-)

But your packages might be somewhat second class citizens then. E.g.
when there is a coordinated change to all Haskell package it might
happen that do it only on those maintained in the group repositories,
and sliently expect you to have followed d-haskell and applied the
change to your packages (or spoken up in time if you diagree).

In fact, if you are fine with that, I’d recommend that you do _not_ put
the DHG as the maintainer of the packages and hence take the full and
only responsibility for them, as you already did for haskell-ncurses.

Nontheless your contributions under the DHG for other packages are
appreciated.

PS: I already sponsored -patience as it showed up in PET as „Ready to
upload“.