Re: Request to Join Project pkg-haskell from John Millikin (jmillikin-guest)

Hi John,

thanks for your elaborate reply, I have added you to the team. I’ll
assume you are subscribed to d-haskell from now on and not CC you; you
don’t need to CC me either.

Am Sonntag, den 20.05.2012, 09:21 -0700 schrieb John Millikin:
> For packages written by others, I would like to maintain them as part
> of the DHG, using services like Alioth and the DHG version tracker. An
> example package that I would maintain in the DHG is
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/haskell-patience .

Looks good. I see you set debian/compat to 8 instead of 7 as given by
http://anonscm.debian.org/darcs/pkg-haskell/tools/template-debian/compat
and used across (almost) all our packages. I do not mind the change, but
if done, it should probably applied to all packages in our repositories
(not necessarily with uploads) to keep things consistent. Consistency is
the main selling point of the DHG!

> For packages I've written, I would like to host/maintain the Debian
> packages using the same infrastructure that I use for the packages
> themselves (i.e. john-millikin.com). An example self-hosted package is
> http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/haskell-ncurses .

Not sure if I get you right here. So you do not necessarily want to have
your libraries appear in Debian, but rather provide Debian packages on
your own website? Would libraries that _are_ in Debian (e.g. ncurses)
also appear on your site, or would you link to the official one?

> > Also, judging from your user name, you are not a DD. Are you a DM, or
> > planning to become one? Have you done Debian packaging before?
>
> I am not a DM, but intend to become one. From the Debian Wiki,
> becoming a DM requires a history of successful contributions to
> Debian, so I figured it would be better to start by joining the group
> as a guest.

Yes, that is correct and good.

Feel free to add the DM-Upload-Allowed-header to any packages that you
touch and care about, and put yourself in Uploaders, so that as soon as
you become DM, you can upload these.

> I am familiar with the technical aspects of Debian packaging, as I
> previously maintained packages of all my libraries in a Ubuntu
> "personal package archive". Last week I set up virtual machines
> running Wheezy and Sid, and configured sbuild chroots in which to
> build/test new packages.

Great!

> I am unfamiliar with the social and policy aspects, as my PPA packages
> never followed any particular policies or guidelines, and will
> probably have questions regarding the Debian packaging policy when I
> need to create complex packages. For now, I'm just working on simple
> {-dev,-prof,-doc} libraries with few dependencies.

Debian Haskell packaging should not be complex, by design :-). But be
sure to read though most of http://wiki.debian.org/Haskell and subscribe
to all three mailing lists. Then feel free to put -patience in the darcs
repos and request sponsoring on the list.

Note that you should not upload just any interesting library to Debian.
Good reasons to upload them is that its a dependency of a program we
want in Debian, part of a suit of libraries that we ship (e.g.
yesod-related packages) or something that a lot of Haskell developers on
Debian would want to have. Research or experimental code is a good
indicator something is not well suited for Debian. Also, libraries where
you expect the usual developer to use cabal-install anyways for them
might not need to go into Debian. Just apply common sense :-)

Feel free to pose any question on d-haskell, and welcome on board!