Re: Small package or big dependencies?

Hi again.

Il 03/08/2010 09:45, Giovanni Mascellani ha scritto:
> Il 02/08/2010 22:16, Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva ha scritto:
>> If gitit demands the exact version of libhgc6-filestore-data, this would not
>> happen.  Or maybe some versioning constraint that is garanteed to work with the
>> version of filestore that was used to build gitit.  For me, it seems that this
>> is the most general solution, and I'd go with it.
>
> Given that this solution (-data package with strict dependencies) seems
> to be the only one without possible break scenarios, I'll implement
> that. Of course, if better ideas will come up, I'll change the
> implementation.

Just as a reminder: I just implemented this solution and it seems to
work (see the last darcs patch I sent on the ML). gitit (and
libghc6-gitit-dev, for people who wants to use gitit inside an other
happstack project) depend on the exact version used during the
compilation of the packages libghc6-filestore-data and pandoc (for the
same reason as filestore). This, of course, adds additional stress when
it comes to deal with updates of the depending-to packages: should the
need of access to data provided by dependencies become more frequent, we
should study a more structured solution for managing binNMU (like, right
now, we do with dependencies among -dev packages).

Another problem that could arise in such a scenario: suppose that we
have such a dependency chain like this

 A -> B -> C -> D

and suppose that A needs to access data provided by each one of B, C and
D. Then, manually tracking the dependencies against the -data package
would become quite hard (and with cost increasing with the square of the
chain length). In that case, we should also think of a system to track
such dependencies and manage them as well.

Luckily, this isn't an actual problem right now. Let's hope it won't
become! :-)

Thanks to all who helped to find a solution for this problem. gitit
appears to be nearly ready now (I just need to check thoroughly the
copyright status), so my last ITP is going to be closed. Wonderful! :-)

Ciao, Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <mascellani@poisson.phc.unipi.it>
Pisa, Italy