Re: Small package or big dependencies?

Hi,

Am Montag, den 02.08.2010, 09:28 +0200 schrieb Giovanni Mascellani:
> I'm a bit undecided what to do here: filestore has a little, non
> architecture dependent file which is needed at execution (not build)
> time by gitit, which I'm packaging. I didn't notice it when I made the
> filestore package, so right now the file doesn't get installed. I'm
> modifying haskell-filestore in order to install that file in a binary
> package.
>
> The problem is _which_ binary package to use: on the first side, I could
> add a libghc6-filestore-commons package and put the file in this
> package; but this would result in a whole binary package to keep 2 KB of
> data. On the other hand, I could just put it in -dev package; but then
> gitit would depend on such package (normally it wouldn't, because gitit
> is compiled statically). Another option is to copy the file at build
> time in the gitit package and patch gitit to get in /usr/share/gitit-...
> instead of /usr/share/filestore-...; the drawback is the need of
> maintain a patch and recompile gitit each time filestore gets updated.
>
> I think that the cleaner and preferable option is the first (use a
> standalone package), but I'd like to hear your opinion about that.

Letting gitit depend on libghc6-filestore-dev is no option. People don’t
want to install the haskell toolchain just to use a wiki.

What does the file contain?

Is it likely that an updated filestore will change the format of the
file? In that case, copying it while gitit is built sounds like the most
sensible solution. This corresponds to static linking: The code gets
copied, so the data has to be copied as well.

If we had dynamic linking, this would be different of course.