Re: Small package or big dependencies?

Hi,

Am Montag, den 02.08.2010, 12:38 -0700 schrieb John MacFarlane:
> > Did you consider a third variant: Actually linking the hook into your
> > code, as a (Byte)String constant, and writing it out to disk when
> > creating a gitit-enabled repository? Then there is no such problem at
> > all, and the hook is always tied directly to the code. (Probably does
> > not work as you’d need to update the hook when you upgrade the code,
> > right?)
>
> In the case of filestore, I could do that. I used to do something like that
> for pandoc, but switched for various reasons to using data files. As you
> note, it's a maintenance hassle if the bytestring is just a literal in the
> code. I could avoid this by using template haskell, but that introduces its
> own headaches (recall the difficulties TH caused on some architectures with
> earlier versions of pandoc). I could also avoid it without template Haskell,
> possibly, with a custom Setup.hs that reads the data file and writes out a
> Haskell file. But now we're getting farther and farther from the nice, clean
> mechanism for data files that Cabal provides.

slightly diverging from the original question: Couldn’t Cabal directly
provides support for this? It automatically detects files like ".y". It
could convert a file ending in ".blob" to a haskell file containing the
data as a raw bytestring, or even convert it directly to a .o file with
a corresponding FFI wrapper that can be linked into the libraries.

I’m sure there are a few use cases. E.g. icons for executables on
windows, or binaries which contain the manpage as the documentation
source.