Re: -prof for hslogger

Hello,

Thanks for your review.

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 10:50:07PM +0200, Giovanni Mascellani wrote:
Hi all.

Il 03/07/2010 18:40, Giovanni Mascellani ha scritto:
Il 03/07/2010 18:06, Iain Lane ha scritto:
Done, but I couldn't build as it relies on hslogger-prof, which I can't
get as uploads aren't being processed this weekend*. But you can build
against it using your local copies and upload.

Wonderful, I'll look at it this evening (UTC+0200). These will be my
first two sponsored packages, so I may take some while to do all the
checks. ;-)

I had a look at yours packages and some comments. Anyway, about some of
them I'm not completely sure, so I ask other more aged DD to confirm
them or not.

missingh:
* source/format: you're setting it to 1.0; are there any specific
reason for not use 3.0 (quilt)? If not, I'd say 3.0 it's more recommended.

No, I just thought that setting 1.0 would be the more minimal change. I don't understand what the point of 3.0 (quilt) is without any patches is, but please change it yourself before uploading if you want to.

* control: there are some missing substitution variable
(dpkg-gencontrol complains that some of them are not used); TTBOMK, you
should use:
  - dev:
    Depends:
     ${haskell:Depends},
     ${misc:Depends},
     ${shlibs:Depends}
    Suggests: ${haskell:Suggests}
    Recommends: ${haskell:Recommends}
    Provides: ${haskell:Provides}
  - prof:
    Depends:
     ${haskell:Depends},
     ${misc:Depends}
    Suggests: ${haskell:Suggests}
    Recommends: ${haskell:Recommends}
    Provides: ${haskell:Provides}
  - doc:
    Depends:
     ${haskell:Depends},
     ${misc:Depends}
    Suggests: ${haskell:Suggests}
    Recommends: ${haskell:Recommends}
Probably, the Haskell Policy should be updated (and not only for this
reason). Maybe I can find some time next week to have a look at it.

This feels somewhat like I'm being punished for problems that I didn't introduce.

* About the fact that libghc6-missingh-doc is substituting
missingh-doc: reading policy 7.6.2, my understanding is that Conflicts
is more appropriate than Breaks (because the old package must be
completely removed). Why are you changing it?

I actually asked about this in #-devel and, since policy 3.9.0, it seems that Breaks: is preferred. So I think we're alright here.

* There are some lintian suggestions that you may want to follow (are
you aware of the -I and --pedantic options? Sometimes they're really too
pedantic, but usually they can give you good hints). All I: and P: are
completely optional, but there are also two W: that you should fix (BSD
is not anymore in common-licenses; I suspect this is due to the fact
that there are many different BSD licenses, so saying "BSD" isn't clear:
it's better to copy the verbatim text).

I didn't look at these, but rather did the specific changes I was trying to achieve, in addition to some low hanging cleanups.

haskell-configfile:
* There's something strange in the repository: it appears that Marco
has already packaged and tagged (but never updated) a version 1.0.6-2.
You should clean things up.
* source/format: as before

I added with 1.0. Fix if you want.

* control: as before, both for Depends & co. and for Breaks vs. Conflicts

As above.

* lintian: as before (but without W:s)

P: libghc6-configfile-dev: no-upstream-changelog
P: libghc6-configfile-doc: no-upstream-changelog
I: libghc6-configfile-doc: possible-documentation-but-no-doc-base-registration

Don't know what you want me to do about this.

* package descriptions: I don't know what you mean with "DHG
consistence", but don't like very much the initial paragraph you have
put in all the descriptions (it could be the last, maybe; the first
paragraphs should give a general idea of what the package do, not where
to find information about the language it is written with). Is it really
a best practice to have such a preamble? (this question, of course, is
for the full mailing list).

I copied this from another package (mtl). I thought it was common across group packages. Maybe not.

* changelog: more generally, I wouldn't put acronyms like "DHG", that
could be meaningless for our users.

Err, ok

* debian/configfile-doc.docs: can be removed.

Yes

Other than that, the packages seem to compile correctly (but I haven't
done the cowbuilder test yet). Please, fix the issues I've outlined (or
help me understanding why they're not problems :-) ), and I'll do the
final check.

Cheers, Giovanni (who feels a bit strange of standing for the first time
on the other bank of the DD river!).

I must say, I think that some of the changes you are asking are somewhat pedantic. But I have to do them if I wish to see sponsorship so will look to fixing things tomorrow.

Iain